Monday, July 26, 2010

Working in Indiana

Hello everyone (that reads this blog). This is Scott Titensor, with a quick update on my life (as if you wanted to know).
We are living in Indianapolis, Indiana. I started my music therapy job at Meaningful Day Services on June 1st 2010. I serve individuals with autism, down syndrome, communication disorders, and a few other diagnoses. I have been learning a lot, particularly how much paper-work is involved in keeping up a caseload, and having all the right approvals up to date, etc.
I am still trying to figure out how I use music therapy, you know? What is my style, my orientation, etc.
It has been tough figuring out if the current goals and objectives that were being worked on by the previous therapist, are really the biggest need of the client, or not.
Our plan is to stay here for two years at least. It has been hard being away from family, especially for my wife and the kids. I am more used to it, being on a mission before for two years. The video camera doesn't quite do it for the kids.
It is really hot here, and humid. It is definitley different than Utah, the people, culture, religion, standards, etc., etc., etc...
It has been really tough to figure out how to act professional, since I haven't been a "professional" for very long. I am so used to being a student, it is weird to have to act like I know what I am talking about.
Well, I will let you all go. Enough said for today.
Hope all is going well for y'all.
Scott Titensor, MT-BC

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Scott! Good luck with the new job! Keep us updated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting out it tough, but you'll soon get the hang of it. Are you going to be going to the AMTA conference this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music is therefore an excellent therapy. A touch of music in one’s life makes a really big difference. My music therapy is steel drums sounds.

    ReplyDelete